May 3, 2002

MEMORANDUM TO: OPINION LEADERS

FROM: GARY SCHMITT

SUBJECT: Defense Budget

This past week, Newsweek reported that the OMB had refused the Pentagon’s request for an additional $5.3 billion to pay for the 83,000 Reserves and National Guard that had been called up since September 11. The president’s budget office approved just $3.5 billion, telling the Defense Department that it would have “to eat” the remaining cost. At the same time, the military says it needs an additional 50,000 soldiers, airmen, and sailors to wage the war, plan for Iraq, and handle existing commitments. So far, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has rejected those appeals.

President Bush says we are engaged in a long-term, global war against terrorism. But waging war takes men and money. Although the administration has requested an additional $48 billion in military spending for 2003, all but $10 billion will go to pay direct war costs and a host of expenses including pay raises and mandatory health care costs. It’s not a question of whether we can afford more. The proposed budget for 2003 is just 3.5 percent of gross domestic product. Even more disheartening, the Bush Administration’s own budget plan allows defense spending to fall back to 3.3 percent of GDP in 2006.

Meanwhile, the White House indicated yesterday that it would sign the new farm bill that is working its way through Congress -- a bill that will hand out tens of billions of dollars in new subsidies to farmers.

Is the administration serious about the war or not?