The popularity of bamboo flooring has increased over time among property/ homeowners since they are ecofriendly, unique in appearance and economical to buy. However, it’s important for a homeowner to know how to care and maintain the bamboo flooring before fitting or moving to a house with such flooring finish.
If durability is your main concern, then opt for a bamboo flooring which is easy to maintain. In addition to regular use, the flooring will get scratches from pets which means that the floor will show some tear and wear in the high traffic points.
Without doubts, while investing in a flooring option, the ease to clean is an important aspect. As far as it the most commonly used area in the home, you will not want to keep following complex care guides. This is frustrating because if you miss something it means you have compromised on quality. Well, bamboo flooring needs regular maintenance methods including sweeping, and even immediate cleaning of spills.
Bamboo floors are very sensitive and need to be handled with a lot of care to avoid scratches, swelling warps, distorts and dents. They are easy to clean and maintain, one of the best ways to keep your floor clean always is by preventing the build-up of dirt and dust. Caring is done like it is for the traditional hardwoods. If possible, it must be swept, regularly vacuumed and kept without stagnant water or scratches. If any pets, trimming their claws reduces the likelihood of scratches to the floor.
To clean the bamboo floor there are things you need to consider so as not to damage your floor. They include;
- Vacuum cleaner: constant use can lead to scratches and denting of bamboo floors. If need be one can use a vacuum cleaner which has a felt head instead of a beater bar.
- Water: Even though most hardwood floorings are believed to be resistant moisture, water is likely to seep over the exposed seams. And yes, over time, spills of milk, water, or any other liquids potentially damage the floors. immersing a lot of water in bamboo flooring is not good as it can lead to swelling. It’s advisable to use a damp mop when cleaning always.
- Steam mops: the heat from the mop drives deep the moisture into the bamboo floor which can cause warping, swelling and distort. This damages the floor hence the need to avoid steam mops when cleaning.
- Abrasive and rough tools: cleaning materials e.g. mops, brooms with hard bristles and stiff scrubbers are not good to use. Acidic cleaning products containing ammonia can damage bamboo floors beyond repair.
- Wax or furniture polish: most bamboo floors can’t be covered multiple or twice due to the thin finish which wears out in case of polishing. Never use these polishes on your bamboo flooring, instead, it’s advisable to look for sprays which are PH neutral to clean. Waxes, furniture polish, and oils leave slippery and cloudy residue on your bamboo floor.
Simple steps to help make your bamboo floor cleaning process easy and quick;
- Removing your small-sized furniture is great before cleaning your bamboo flooring because you don’t miss any spots making your work stress free and quick. Always lift your furniture instead of dragging them to avoid dents on the floor.
- Clean spills soon as you spot them using a damp mop and a PH neutral product to avoid stains on the floor. A microfiber mop is great when cleaning bamboo flooring.
- Regularly dust and sweep your floor using a soft bristle broom or vacuum cleaner to avoid buildup. Doing this daily is important especially in common areas such as the living room and hallways. Make sure the floor is dry before you sweep to avid build up.
- Place doormats at the entry areas such as doors to prevent moisture, grit, dirt, and water from the outdoors from reaching your bamboo flooring. Also, ensure the right climate control on your house because direct sunlight on your bamboo flooring is not good.
- Invest in an outdoor shoe rack to place all outdoor footwear. This helps prevent dirt, moisture, gravel, and water under these footwears on your bamboo floor. Excess moisture is a danger to wood products. Unfortunately, none of the flooring options is waterproof even if properly installed. Gravel can scratch your floor which can damage the bamboo floor beyond repair.
How to clean bamboo floors
Cleaning bamboo floors is almost the same as hardwood cleaning. There is no much difference in the tips and steps one should always follow to make your floor sparkling clean.
- With a microfiber mop or a soft bristle broom clean the floor of all dust, grit, and debris from pets especially in the high traffic areas of the house. Make sure the floor is dry before you sweep to avid build up. Use a dustpan to take out the dirt.
- Use a PH-neutral detergent to remove spills and for difficult marks, you can utilize water mixed with white vinegar. However, you ought to sparingly utilize it when cleaning as the acidity can dull the bamboo flooring finish if frequently used.
- Spray small amounts of vinegar and water solution across the floor. Using a damp mop delicately mop the floor in round patterns by adding pressure to areas with a lot of dust and grime. Never immerse your mop in a lot of water when cleaning bamboo flooring finish as it can damage them. ensure no dampness or wetness left on the floor.
- You can always wrap a dry cloth or mop and dry the floor after cleaning. This helps dry the floor of and dampness left after mopping.
Frequent cleaning of your bamboo flooring depends on how busy the area is. kitchens, living rooms, and hallways for example always have a high traffic of people hence the need to constantly take care of them and clean them frequently. Once you spot spills, clean them immediately to avoid build-up. Always use soft bristle tools and equipment when cleaning your bamboo flooring to avoid damages.
To avoid a lot of dust, dirt, sand, grits, and gravel from the entry points, invest in doormats to keep the dirt away from the floors. This prevents scratches and damages to your floor. let outdoor shoes remain outside to make your cleaning process easy and quick. Beneath these shoes, they carry gravel and moisture from outside to your house which can wreck your floors badly. Invest in an outdoor shoe rack and you will thank me for it.