Because of the ever-growing popularity of the laminate floor, dozens if not hundreds of laminate flooring brands have been emerging.
While many believe that all laminate flooring brands are the same in that they provide the same kinds of laminate flooring materials and follow the same kinds of laminate flooring procedures, this is definitely not the case.
There are many things to consider when it comes to choosing a laminate floor brand, and if you are the type to believe that they are all the same, you are choosing to ignore the overall value of your floor in terms of longevity, function, and aesthetics.
Choosing the best brand of laminate flooring will ensure that your laminate floor tiles or planks will stand the test of time and will encounter the least amount of wear and tear.
Choose a brand that does not specialize in perfect laminate flooring, and you will pay the price down the road.
Before Going to Criticism lets go to quick rundown of Some Popular Laminate Flooring Brands:
What is laminate flooring, and why is it becoming so popular?
Of the handfuls of hard surface flooring that exist, there are three that are seen as the most common: Ceramic tiles, hardwood, and linoleum.
These three surfaces have long been the industry standard for flooring for practically centuries.
So what is laminate flooring and what role does it play in flooring at large?
Laminate flooring is also referred to as “floating wood tile” because the tiles that it uses are placed on top of an underlayment that is made of film or foam. Because of this, laminate floors contain multiple layers.
Although it contains multiple layers, it is much easier to install than the aforementioned kinds of floors. This is because laminate flooring uses tongue and groove planks that can be “clicked” into one another.
Laminate flooring is popular because it is much easier and faster to install despite containing multiple layers. Installing these layers does not require the usual plethora of materials and tools that are required to install other kinds of flooring.
This breakthrough made laminate flooring more popular than ever, and this popularity has caused many brands to come up with their own laminate flooring planks and installation services.
And like with anything that is currently popular or is rising in popularity, it is important to know what brands you should avoid. Laminate flooring is no different.
Most important aspects of a laminate flooring brand
While many things make up laminate flooring in and of itself, there are really only two aspects of a laminate flooring brand that truly determines whether it is a brand that you should trust or not.
- The first of these is the quality of the materials used in the underlayment as well as the planks.
- Whether this underlayment is made of film or foam and whether the planks are made of vinyl, tile, or any other kind of material, you need to make sure that this material is made of only the best quality.
- While quality is seen as a subjective measure in most aspects of home improvement, it should be seen as an objective measure when it comes to laminate flooring brands.
- Because standing water is the one thing that affects laminate flooring the most, you need to look for materials that are as resistant to water as they can possibly be when it comes to laminate flooring brands.
- Installation is the second thing that makes up a laminate flooring brand, and it is just as important as the materials that are used to complete the installation.
- Expert installation that results in a floor that not only looks impressive but is very sturdy and can last a very long time is another thing that you want to look for in a laminate flooring brand.
- Unless you intend to install laminate floors completely by yourself, you will probably need to recruit some help in order to install them. This is why it is very important to choose a laminate flooring brand that practices only the best installation techniques.
- What installation technique is optimal? Installation techniques that are consistent. Nearly any laminate floor installation team will promise to install your laminate floor tiles the right way, but how many do this the same way every time? This is the question you should be asking.
- Inconsistent laminate tile installation can lead to a host of all kinds of issues, and it needs to be avoided. You need to make sure that you are selecting a laminate flooring brand that has a team that installs their floor tiles the same way every time.
Now that you know about the two major details of laminate flooring that you need to be aware of the most, it is now time to explore which brands make the most of these details.
Major store brands will let you down
Perhaps the first thing you think about when it comes to putting in a new floor is to order something from your local Home Depot or Lowe’s, see what laminate flooring materials they have, and let them install it.
While thinking this way is very common, it is also very lazy thinking.
Here is the deal with major organizations such as Lowe’s or Home Depot: They do not specialize in anything when it comes to home improvement.
Places like that contain literally anything and everything you need for home improvement. In that aspect, they deserve credit.
While they may have the materials you might need for optimal laminate flooring, how good do you think their installation is?
Organizations such as Lowe’s or Home Depot have thousands of people working for them, and this includes their installation “experts.” How much time do you think they dedicate to learning about floor installation when they need to learn about other kinds of installation as well?
This is why major store organizations will let you down when it comes to laminate flooring brands. They probably will have the materials that you need, but you know that they will be overpriced because of who is distributing them.
So that means that local organizations and local brands are where to go, right?
Not so fast.
While major brands and organizations should definitely be avoided when it comes to laminate flooring brands, this certainly does not give local brands a free pass.
In fact, you may need to be twice as suspicious of local laminate flooring brands as you are of major brands.
Too good to be true? What you need to watch for when you shop local
Shopping for laminate flooring brands is best done locally, but you can’t just go to any given small-scale flooring brand sight unseen.
You need to understand that just because a laminate flooring organization or brand is small does not make them perfect.
Beware of any local laminate floor brand that promises installation that is quick and easy.
Why is this?
Guess who else promises “quick and easy” installation?
The previously mentioned major brands and entities, that’s who.
If you won’t be able to trust major flooring brands with their quick installation methods, what makes you think the local one will be any better if they also promise quick installation?
Remember, the key to quality installation is consistency. This is what you need to ask when seeking out laminate flooring from a smaller brand or entity; ask if they do the same things every time when it comes to installation.
While it is understandable for smaller laminate flooring brands to charge more money for their materials, they have no business making their public wait significantly long periods of time for siad materials.
A lot of the smaller brands do this to improve their profits, but this results in them overcharging their buyers.
If you come across a smaller brand who not only charges more money for their materials but also charges additional fees for their installation or puts you on a waiting list or employs any other kind of gimmick to bolster their own profits, stay away.
There is also the mistake of trusting in a brand that is too small. If you come across a brand that has only been bought and utilized by only a handful of people, you may be taking a risk as they may not have as much experience as you would want them to.
The best laminate brands seem to be large enough to where they have a significant following, but not faceless in their execution, which is what you see in Lowe’s or Home Depot.
Laminate flooring is quickly becoming the industry standard when it comes to flooring for most homes and even some establishments.
Because of this, more and more laminate flooring brands are emerging.
But with these options come materials that are not optimized for laminate flooring as well as installation methods that are inconsistent or take shortcuts.
Knowing which laminate flooring brands to avoid is going to be more and more significant in your search for the perfect laminate flooring for your home or establishment.
Use all the information you have at your disposal to determine which brands to avoid.
Fail to do this, and you will pay the price – literally.